Operating System Installations and upgrades
Whether you are looking to update your machine to the latest operating system, or whether you have experienced corruption or hardware failure, Haslam IT can help. We can upgrade you to the latest supported operating system for your device or we can install a fresh copy of the operating system in the event that your system has become corrupted or you have had to have the hard drive replaced.
We can Install or upgrade:
- Windows systems (Win 10 or 11)
- Mac OS (all versions)
- Ipad / iPhone IOS
- Chrome OS
- Raspberry Pi
- Gaming systems such as Sony Playstation
Requirements for Windows 11
Windows 11 can only be installed on relatively modern hardware.
The Official Requirements are:
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit system
- RAM: 4 GB or more (we would recommend at least 8 GB)
- Storage: 64 GB or more available space
- UEFI firmware, secure Boot capable
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) V2.0
- Graphics Card: Direct X 12 or above with WDDM 2.0 driver
- Internet connectivity is required
It is possible to by-pass some of the above requirements, but we would NOT recommend this.
The official Requirements for Windows 10 are:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.
(Processor needs to support PAE (Physical Address Extension),
NX (Non-Execution Bit) and SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2).
- RAM: 2 GB Minimum (We would recommend at least 8 GB for 64-bit systems and min 4 GB for 32-Bit systems)
- Storage: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
- Graphics Card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
In practice, Windows 10 can be installed on most hardware purchased within the last ten years.
It is generally possible to upgrade from Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but for best results we would recommend a "clean" installation is carried out.
When upgrading bear in mind these points:
- When upgrading, you should keep all of your existing
(though some programs may need updating or replacing).
- With a "Clean" install ALL programs would need to be
(data such as MS Office documents and photos etc can be backed-up & restored)
- It is only possible to the same architecture
(i.e. 32-Bit to 32-Bit & 64-Bit to 64-Bit)
- You can Only upgrade to the same family of software
(e.g From Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home or Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro)
- Official support for Windows 10 is due to end in October 2025.
Older Operating systems
It is no longer possible to install Windows operating systems older than Window 10 - Microsoft has turned off the activation servers for these products.
Below are the official dates when support ended for older Microsoft operating systems:
|Release Date||End of Support|
|Windows 2000||17th Feb 2000||13th Jul 2010|
|Windows XP||25th Oct 2001||8th Apr 2014|
|Windows Vista SP1:||30th Jan 2007||12th Jul 2011|
|Windows Vista SP2:||26th May 2009||11th Apr 2017|
|Windows 7:||22nd Oct 2009||14th Jan 2020|
|Windows 8.1||17th Oct 2013||10th Jan 2023|
|Free Upgrade to Windows 10||Jul 2015||29th Jul 2016|
|Windows 10||29th Jul 2015||14th Oct 2025|
|Windows 11||5th Oct 2021||11th Nov 2025|
Mac Operating Systems
We can upgrade or re-install most Mac operating systems. We can configure Intel-based Mac systems to dual boot into both Mac OS and Windows using Boot Camp.
If you are not sure of the latest version of MAC OS that your system supports, just send us the serial number and we can check for you.
Here is a list of MAC OS systems with release dates that we can generally install:
|Mac OS Version||Release Date||Most Recent Version|
|10.11 El Capitan||30/09/15||10.11.6
|10.13 High Sierra||25/09/17||10.13.6
|11.0 Big Sur||12/11/20||11.7.10